Thursday, February 11, 2016

BOOK REVIEW- Boys, Bears, And A Serious Pair of Hiking Boots

Title: Boys, Bears, And A Serious Pair of Hiking Boots
Author: Abby McDonald
Publisher: Candlewick Press
Publication date: April 13th 2010
Edition language: English
Pages: 293
My reviews are always non spoiler. Want to talk about a book? email me and we'll chat! xo

BACK-COVER




OPINION
With no doubt, this book was a fun read. I did see a few things coming as it's a teen book and we all kinda know how a teen's life goes. Like with all the boy and friend dramas. But yet a lot of happenings weren't predictable, which is why the book was entertaining and fun to read. This book is filled with exciting adventures and moments, sad and happy ones. This book is narrated in first-person by Jenna, who is also the protagonist in this book. It was really nice to know Jenna's deepest thoughts , her opinions and of course how every surrounding of hers looks like.
Jenna went to Canada. The wilds of Canada. All her adventures were really exciting and everything she goes through from meeting new people, experiencing new feelings, knowing secrets and finding her self due to experiencing many different situations. How find herself?  Jenna is a character that her life and mind were really focused on environmental activism. Jenna does talk about the environment in the book but without being annoying. Going to Canada and being surrounded by people that don't have the same opinion/mentality like her made her change slightly. She discovered a life outside "environmental activism". A life in which she found herself. She found another side of her that came to life by stepping foot in Canada. That's where her journey starts.
Olivia, Jenna's best friend was the most annoying character in this book. It did not affect my reading. Like Jenna, Olivia also developed throughout the book. As well as Fiona, who's Jenna's godmother Susie's stepdaughter.
Jenna is my favorite one, not because she's the protagonist but because of how she looks at the different situations and how she handles them. I liked her more when she started understanding the life outside environmental activism. She's really understanding and helpful. All her thoughts and feelings are well described in this book which I truly enjoyed reading.

  
THE REAL QUESTIONS  
What's the secret that was being kept away?
Who ends up being the worst person in this book?
Boys, Bears, And A Serious Pair of Hiking Boots
What boys?
A bear? But where? How? With who? What type of feelings arise in that very moment?
Canada right.. but what's the issue that Jenna is leaving behind at home? What is she running away from?

I like reading books that leave me with something, so I'm happy to say that this one did. I can see the wilds of Canada before me, the green woods, the lake and a few nice/important moments.

I give it 4/5 stars.

Is ADVENTURE, NATURE, TEEN DRAMA, TEEN LIFE your thing? Then go ahead and read this book. 
Are you simply looking for a fun read? Then "Boys, Bears, And A Serious Pair of Hiking Boots" is the one!
 

4 comments:

  1. This has completely caught my attention and I love the photos you took with the leaves around it, very nicely set! Will add this to my list. - Tasha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the lovely comments on my last post Jade! - Tasha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your book reviews, they make me want to read ALL the books! This sounds like a really great one too, I love a good adventure book.

    Hazel xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read a book called "The Darkest Child." It was really good. I also read Purple Hibiscus by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. I blog about social issues. My blog is http://kikispeakshermind.com/.

    ReplyDelete