Saturday, April 30, 2016

Book Review- The Grownup by Gillian Flynn


Title: The Grownup
Author: Gillian Flynn
Publisher: Crown
Publication date: November 3rd 2015 by Crown(first published June 17th 2014)
Edition Language: English
Pages: 64
Genres: Fiction, thriller & suspense
A non-spoiler review
Goodreads: A canny young woman is struggling to survive by perpetrating various levels of mostly harmless fraud. On a rainy April morning, she is reading auras at Spiritual Palms when Susan Burke walks in. A keen observer of human behavior, our unnamed narrator immediately diagnoses beautiful, rich Susan as an unhappy woman eager to give her lovely life a drama injection. However, when the "psychic" visits the eerie Victorian home that has been the source of Susan's terror and grief, she realizes she may not have to pretend to believe in ghosts anymore. Miles, Susan's teenage stepson, doesn't help matters with his disturbing manner and grisly imagination. The three are soon locked in a chilling battle to discover where the evil truly lurks and what, if anything, can be done to escape it.

My Thoughts
Just to start my review I want to share the first two sentences of the story: "I didn't stop giving hand jobs because I wasn't good at it. I stopped giving hand jobs because I was the best at it".
I actually don't even know where to start... I couldn't stop reading this story! Even when Gillian started the book with an introduction of the protagonist, which felt quite a normal written, it still captivated me. I enjoyed reading about the protagonist, probably because she read books... haha! Then of course the story went on and got even stronger, meaning the creepy and thrilling aspects of it started to come out. The ending was an ending but still not an ending... I'm probably not making any sense. The ending made me think a lot.... in fact I'm still thinking about it because I'm not sure about what happened? It's kind of confusing but in such a good way!  This story has such good twists and turns going on that I did not expect at all. I love how well Gillian wrote this thrilling story with sometimes a touch of humor and how simple and at the same time how absolutely captivating it is. I'm enjoying how much it's making me think and wonder, which is what I love about a book.

With all that being said, I have no cons concerning this book. It's all pros! Therefore I give The Grownups by Gillian Flynn 4 out of 5 stars.

I actually didn't want to read Gone Girl, but now that I have read this one, like what Gillian can do JUST in one short story... I'm so eager to know what she did in Gone Girl and her other books!

Truly recommend it!
Have you read it? What are your thoughts?
 

1 comment:

  1. I have't read anything by Gillian Flynn but after seeing the film adaptation of Gone Girl, which was very good, I knew I'd need to read the book too. It sounds like I need to pick up some more of her books though as this one sounds just as gripping. Great review! - Tasha

    ReplyDelete