Thursday, April 28, 2016

Book Review- Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

Title: Outlander
Author: Diana Gabaldon
Publisher: Bantam Dell
Publication date: June 1, 1991
Edition Language: English
Pages: 640 ( mine was pocket size so 850 pages)

Non-spoiler review!

Goodreads: The year is 1945. Claire Randall, a former combat nurse, is just back from the war and reunited with her husband on a second honeymoon when she walks through a standing stone in one of the ancient circles that dot the British Isles. Suddenly she is a Sassenach—an “outlander”—in a Scotland torn by war and raiding border clans in the year of Our Lord...1743.

My thoughts
First of all, I have never picked up a book this thick in my life. I honestly never really paid attention to such thick books, not to even read their back covers, and not to even consider buying them. Hearing about Outlander just made me want to read it so I went for it anyway. If I knew that it's a series, I wouldn't have bought it because the bookstore didn't have the other sequels ( they still don't). I made time to read this otherwise I would still be reading it and I can say now that I am open to thick books!

I really like the story and how it's written, how everything meaning the scenes, smells and ambiences are described and simply how well the author described how life was in the 1700's. When it comes to the characters, I love Clair (my favorite) and her development, how she changed throughout the story and how she adapted to life in the 1700's. I love the relationship between Clair and Jamie, which was so real. I just simply loved and enjoyed reading about them. I like Jamie as well although there are somethings that he has done that I think didn't quite match with his character. Those actions definitely surprised me -not in a good way- coming from him but other than that I think he's a great protagonist. Additionally, I also enjoyed reading the scenes where Geillis Duncan and Jack Randall were part of. By enjoying I mean they were good scenes and sometimes thrilling. With all that being said this book was definitely unpredictable.

I give this book a 4 out of 5 stars. I didn't like the fact that the book was slow-paced, which felt totally unnecessary because of uninteresting/unnecessary in between scenes. There are different thrilling scenes in the book that I really enjoyed, as well as "Jamie & Clair" scenes, which were excellent described by the author. I also liked the mystery, adventure and romance aspects of the book. I think I would've probably enjoyed it more if the pace was faster. When it comes to the ending, it didn't really give me the urge to read the next book, but then of course I want to know what happens next but at the same time I will be okay if I don't? If I do get my hands on the other sequels I will definitely reread this one first.

Trigger Warning!
Sex, rape, abuse, violence and torture.

Favorite Quotes 
"we dangled our feet in the water, moving from shade to sun and back to shade as we grew too warm, talking of this and that and not much of anything, both aware of each other's smallest movement, both content to wait until chance should bring us to that moment when a glance should linger, and a touch should  signal more"- page 301

"Then let amorous kisses dwell
On our lips, begin and tell
A thousand and a hundred score
A hundred, and a thousand more" -page 355

"I gave you justice, it said, as I was taught it. And I gave you mercy, too, so far as I could. While I could not spare you pain and humiliation, I make you a gift of my own pains and humiliations, that yours might be easier to bear"- page 405

"Lord, If I've never had courage in my life before, let me have it now. let me be brave enough not to fall on my knees and beg her to stay" - page 563

"The darkness was rolling in over the fields, filling the land and rising up to meet the night. The light of the new crescent moon marked the ridges of brow and nose, crossing his face with light"- page 650

"I can bear pain, myself,  but I could not bear yours. That would take more strength than I have"- page 751

"All the humors of the body, all the blood and bile and vapors that make a man; it's as though just at once all of them are working in perfect harmony"- page 781

"For where all love is, the speaking is unnecessary. It is all. It is undying. And it is enough."- page 787

I would love to know your thoughts about Outlander. Leave them in the comments down below! xo

1 comment:

  1. Hey hun,

    You HAVE to read the second book. I first found the series almost 10 years ago after my a recommendation from my Nan (!?) and I literally fell in love. I agree, it is quite slow paced, and it has a lot of detail because the author is a historian by trade.

    The second book is incredible - it's where it really puts it together - warning - tears. Lots of them. But so bloody worth it. And then third book - totally worth the effort of reading them. I've read the first 6 - have yet to read the 7th and 8th but you cannot help but fall in love with all of the characters and how they're lives all intertwine.

    I've such an outlander geek :') xx

    ReplyDelete