Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Book- Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel

Title: Station Eleven
Author: Emily St. John Mandel
Publisher: Vintage Books, a division of Penguin Random House, LLC New York  (Originally published by Knopf)
Publication date: September 9, 2014, by Knopf
Edition Language: English
Pages: 336
Genres: Science fiction novel/ Post-apocalyptic/ Dystopian Fiction
a non-spoiler review
Goodreads: An audacious, darkly glittering novel set in the eerie days of civilization's collapse, Station Eleven tells the spellbinding story of a Hollywood star, his would-be savior, and a nomadic group of actors roaming the scattered outposts of the Great Lakes region, risking everything for art and humanity.

Thoughts
My experience with Station Eleven: 

-Station Eleven is a novel that takes place in Canada. Every scene is absolutely beautifully described. There are beautifully written sentences that I had to share on twitter. I still have clear imaginative pictures of the scenes in my mind because of how well they were described, e.g. like moments of danger, loss, sadness, violence, relief, worry, love and more.

-Unpredictable paths: There were so many moments when I thought "this is the character whose life we're going to follow", but then Emily decides to pick another character to elaborate on. This also goes for situations that seemed like main ones to me... but it turns out that they're not. Or maybe they are, but there's more to them. I always think about how interesting the book is put together, the different perspectives and how interesting the selection of characters is that Emily chose to write about and how they are connected to one another.

-This book has a puzzling effect: This book makes you link all the lives that are brought forward in the book. It leaves little hints here and there to think about and then give you another piece of the puzzle in a later chapter. The chapters often switch between the time before, during and after the epidemic, which is what makes the whole book even more interesting. This gave me a nice feeling when things were falling into place.

-It's definitely a page turner. When a book doesn't speak to me, I tend to rush. But Station Eleven is a book that is so interesting, it made me think about life. It's a book that at some level I didn't want to finish but at the same time I wanted to know how it will end.

-"survival is insufficient" is a quote from Star Trek, used by one of the characters in the book. I think this is an amazing quote to keep in mind while reading Station Eleven because of how important surviving is in the book but also how insufficient it is. The book really shows how important people are to one another... how humans still seek for that connection towards other humans during a period of crisis. So it wasn't only about surviving.

-This was my first science fiction book I have ever read and I absolutely enjoyed every bit of it. 
I wrapped my mind around the idea that I can't compare books especially not those that aren't the same genre. I cannot expect to get the same feeling when reading a thriller, in a romance book. Each genre has their own element, their own touch. In my opinion, Station Eleven is an amazing read that definitely makes me think about life, about people and what is truly important.
I give Station Eleven 4 out of 5 stars! 

Have you read it? What are your thoughts? Are you interested in science fiction?

1 comment:

  1. This one sounds really interesting and I love the fact you said it was beautifully descriptive as well. I do like books that are well described and beautifully written. I'll have to pick this one up at some point - especially as you gave it such a glittering review! Another great review Jade. - Tasha

    ReplyDelete