Sunday, July 3, 2016

BOOK- The Last Time We Say Goodbye by Cynthia Hand

Title: The Last Time We Say Goodbye
Author: Cynthia Hand
Publisher: HarperTeen
Publication date: February 9th, 2016 (Originally on February 10,2015)
Edition Language: English
Pages: 390
Genres: Contemporary, Young Adult Fiction

A non-spoiler review

Goodreads- Since her brother, Tyler, committed suicide, Lex has been trying to keep her grief locked away, and to forget about what happened that night. But as she starts putting her life, her family, and her friendships back together, Lex is haunted by a secret she hasn't told anyone—a text Tyler sent, that could have changed everything.

Thoughts
I am going to start by saying that I give this book 5 out of 5 stars. It was so good! These are the reasons why:

- I enjoyed the characters, especially Lex who is the main character and whose perspective the story is told from. All of them are different and they definitely help with shaping the story to help me as a reader see the entire picture of Lex's life, since the story is revealed through Lex's point of view.

- Everything felt real, like how someone would actually deal with the loss of a family member.

- The plot is mostly about what she has to go through after losing her brother, meaning emotions and dealing with other family members, friends and other people. So yes the plot was simply about her daily life and parts of the book are journal entries, which are also about her thoughts and happenings from the past including memories of her brother Tyler. The book doesn't have a major twist until the end but yet still held my attention. 
 
- I have never cried while reading a book until I read this one. One (astonishing) twist got played out in the end, which made everything fall into place. Meaning why she acts the way she does during the story and why she handled a situation so abruptly without explanation. I think the guilt that Lex feels must be major. The reason why I cried is probably because somehow I read the book as if I was reading about myself... I kind of put myself in Lex's situation, especially during the second half of the book. It felt like I was the one dealing with everything, like I'm the one with that guilt. It felt like my heart was shattering... I'm not talking about teary eyes here... literally crying.

I think this book truly touched me especially emotionally. I enjoyed how this book allowed me to explore life, death, guilt, grieving and hope in a different situation.

This book is definitely one of my favorite books I have read this year. 5 stars definitely.

1 comment:

  1. I have heard about this book before but I don't own it and haven't read it yet. I do want to read it at some point because it sounds like a really good book which discusses the theme of grief in depth. I will be checking it out for sure x

    ReplyDelete