Wednesday, July 13, 2016

BOOK- Miss Peregrine’s Home For Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs



Title: Miss Peregrine’s Home For Peculiar Children
Author: Ransom Riggs
Publisher: Quirk Books
Publication date: June 4th 2013 (first published June 7th 2011)
Edition/ Language: Paperback, English
Pages: 382
Genres: Dark Fantasy, Horror literature, Young Adult Fiction

A non-spoiler review!

Goodreads
"A mysterious island.  An abandoned orphanage.  A strange collection of curious photographs. [...] As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that Miss Peregrine's children were more than just peculiar. [...]

Opinion
Miss Peregrine’s Home For Peculiar Children… This book literally took me on an amazing adventure. It’s such an intriguing story that held my attention from start to finish.  I couldn’t put this book down. I literally read it in 3 sittings!  - Side node: I love the cover!!!!-

I love the peculiar aspect of the book. All the characters are so strange but in a good way. It was so much fun to read about them and their history. I enjoyed knowing more and getting answers to why, when, how etc. The story is told from the point of view of Jacob, the main character; so everything that he wants to know, I wanted to know as well. I couldn’t predict a thing. There are many unexpected happenings that are very well described, to the point where I can see all of it happening right in front of me. It literally sucked me in! Even when I tell myself “this will be the last page for today”, I find myself reading a bit more because it gets better and better!

Miss Peregrine’s Home For Peculiar Children is such a unique story. I love the way old photographs are used in the book. It definitely gives the book such a mysterious touch, which along with everything that is happening in the book makes it all so much more thrilling and mysterious!

I really like how the reality in this book is so real, and feels real to me as a reader even when the book switches to fantasy. Nothing in this book was “too much”. I find everything in this book useful which makes the book definitely fast paced.

I can’t say much because otherwise I will spoil it. All I can really say is, it was a very good read that I highly recommend.  Everything I read, meaning all the happenings are still in my head. I can picture everything, which is a really nice feeling to me. Well done Ransom Riggs! I love how he has “The Loop as his location on twitter!  I definitely give this book 5 out of 5 stars! 

I’m now on to Hollow City (click here for the review), the second book of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. What are you currently reading?  Have you read this one? What are your thoughts? Have you read the second novel already?

Click here for the review of Library of Souls.


PS- I created a Goodreads group called Bookish Clues. Join the group to talk about your current read or even read books with me!:D xoxo

3 comments:

  1. Ah so excited by this review Jade!! I had never heard of it until seeing the movie trailer but it really sounds like something up my street and I can't wait to read it sometime!
    Love that you enjoyed it so much :)

    Danielle xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard a movie is coming out for this one and I want to have read it before I watch the movie so I'm gonna have to get to it soon. I love the creepy looks of it as well. I don't read much horror but this one is too well known to pass up :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah this review really has me excited to continue where I've stopped when I put down this book a few days ago. I've stopped at the beginning where Jacob just found his grandfather in the woods behind his backyard and actually already found it incredibly thrilling there but as I'm a night reader I got too tired to continue reading. I have a feeling I will read this book very quickly, too, though :)
    Great review!

    Micky♡
    Princess From Jupiter 

    ReplyDelete