Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Book Review- Hollow City by Ransom Riggs



Title: Hollow City 
Author: Ransom Riggs
Publisher: Quirk Books
Publication date: February 24th 2015 (1st published January 14th 2014)
Edition/ Language: Paperback, English
Pages: 412
Genres: Dark Fantasy, Horror literature, Young Adult Fiction

Goodreads: [...] This second novel begins in 1940, immediately after the first book ended. Having escaped Miss Peregrine’s island by the skin of their teeth, Jacob and his new friends must journey to London, the peculiar capital of the world. Along the way, they encounter new allies, a menagerie of peculiar animals, and other unexpected surprises[...]

Thoughts
This book is part of my BookTubeAThon TBR!
Hollow City is amazing. So yes, it gets better after Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children. Hollow City is such a thrilling book full of tension and adventure. The plot is excellent, super unpredictable with an amazing but absolutely shocking twist near the end.

The characters are so interesting. It's so nice to get to know their unique personalities throughout the story! Even during moments of horror, they managed to make me laugh! 

This book definitely drew me in completely. Ransom Riggs can truly describe scenes because I can literally picture every single scene in front of me. Same goes for the first book.

The pacing is definitely fast! Even when they're talking about the history, or when conversations are being played out, the book holds that peculiar element of course! Same goes for the amazing photographs, the fantasy aspect, the arousing feelings of horror... it's all so good!

I do have to say that the peculiar animals in this story (two animals to be more specific) didn't quite fit the story in my opinion. Don't worry I'm not spoiling you. I don't think it fits the image of peculiar that I have, however, the story kept going with all its amazing stories and thrilling feelings around these animals. So it didn't affect my experience at all. Besides, Peculiar is "the hidden branch of any species, human or animal [...]".

This is definitely a 5 out of 5 star book, without a doubt!
I'm now on to the next book! - Library of Souls (click here o read the review)!

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes it can be difficult for the sequel of a book to become even better than the first, but it seems like this one just nails it even further than the first book did! I can't wait to read all of these now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just before I start saying anything else: I LOVE YOUR BLOG! I'm defenitely going to follow you on Goodreads (I was looking for peeps with an awesome book taste anyway 😊). Also, I'm curious: can you read Dutch? Because you read my blogpost and commented in both Dutch and English. Anyway, love your photo's and your way of reviewing. 😊

    ReplyDelete