Sunday, October 2, 2016

Review- The Shock of the Fall by Nathan Filer

Title: The Shock of the Fall
Author: Nathan Filer
Publisher: HarperCollins
Publication date:  January 7th 2014 (First published 2013)
Edition/ Language: Paperback, English
Pages: 314
Genres: Mental health/illness, contemporary, fiction.

A non spoiler review

Goodreads: 'I'll tell you what happened because it will be a good way to introduce my brother. His name's Simon. I think you're going to like him. I really do. But in a couple of pages he'll be dead. And he was never the same after that.' 

Opinion
The Shock of the Fall is an interesting book about a boy named Matthew and how his brother's death affected his life. Additionally it is also about his mental illness and everything concerning that. 

How this book is put together truly made me feel like Matthew is real. I think also because of how raw his thoughts are written in this book. How he writes his thoughts makes me feel lost at times, because when he’s writing about one of his experiences, he often inserts fractions of other memories in between. It's like he gets distracted. Maybe he feels lost/ confused too at times, which is how he makes the reader (me) feel. This book is like an insight into the mind of someone with a mental illness. Maybe not literally but what I can say is it felt real. 

"Some memories refuse to be locked in time or place, they are always present".

As a reader, I never knew what Matthew is up to, like what he’ll do next or what is thoughts are. That is definitely one of the reasons why I kept reading. The Shock of the Fall is a fast read and it has an ending that gave me the "everything's okay" feeling. I liked that. 

"We don't get to choose what we keep"

I give this book 3 out of 5 stars. Have you read it or are you planning on reading it?

2 comments:

  1. Great blog!!

    If you like, come back and visit mine:
    http://albumdeestampillas.blogspot.com

    I would really like to receive a visit from your country!

    Thanks,
    Pablo from Argentina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this review Jade, and I am definitely going to be adding this to my To Read list as I love anything that focuses on or talks about mental health or how a character deals with issues around that, and this one sounds really interesting. Thanks for the recommendation! - Tasha

    ReplyDelete