Saturday, November 5, 2016

Review- The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

Title: The Alchemist
Author: Paulo Coelho
Publisher: HarperCollins
Publication date: May 1st 1993 (first published 1988)
Edition/ Language: Paperback, English
Pages: 197 pages
Genres:  Quest, adventure, fantasy

Non-spoiler

About
'The Alchemist follows a young Andalusian shepherd in his journey to Egypt, after having a recurring dream of finding treasure there'- Wikipedia.

Opinion
The Alchemist depicts life and it makes you think a bit further/deeper than just reading what is happening.

This story follows a young Andalusian shepherd called Santiago, who's on a journey. As a reader it felt like I was on that journey as well. I personally felt like giving up, like stop reading, but Santiago doesn't. So the book helped me as well to keep going. Not only to continue reading the book, but also in life. It carries this message to never give up on what you want. I find my reading experience interesting, as it merged into my life. It also makes you think about what you are doing in your life - your Personal Legend- and if you have given up or not. It's definitely a unique story with all kinds of life aspects, e.g. love, family, friends, and enemies.

The end of the story showed me how everything happened for a reason. It felt good to read the last bits, because it's as if it was my journey, like I'm the one who went through all those difficult times. In the end it was like I finally found it! Everything that held him back ended up being something he can learn from. This story depicts life in its own way, while sending the following messages: "everything happens for a reason" and "follow your dreams". Also, not to give up, as a journey can't always be perfect. It will have its challenges. The key is to keep moving forward to reach your goal.

I enjoyed this book, especially the end of it. I give it 4 out of 5 stars! Have you read it? Do let me know your thoughts down below.

1 comment:

  1. Ooh I was excited when I saw this review on your blog as this book has been on my list for a long time, so I need to read it soon! Loved your review on this too, it sounds like a lovely journey throughout the story. - Tasha

    ReplyDelete